Cactus Cultivars

Author Topic: Astro coloration  (Read 3337 times)

Offline AnTTun

Astro coloration
« on: Wednesday, 12 February 2014 - 20:24:57 »
Not sure if this is a newbie question or not so I'll ask away: last year I've regrafted some colored myriostigma hybrids (of hybrids) from pereskiopsis to tricho and myrtillo. Their main color was yellow but after regrafting it turned into dark pink / reddish. I've relocated them after regrafting so I'm not sure if they changed color because of new stock or new position. Any comments?

Offline Simon

Re: Astro coloration
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, 12 February 2014 - 21:47:03 »
Hi AnTTun,
I think it could be the different stocks but also maybe seasonal effect. I have found with kohyo that it grows with different colours on different stocks. I have had the same clone on Pereskiopsis, Echinicactus grusonii and Harrissia jusberti. I found that brightest colour was on the Echinocactus followed by Pereskiopsis then Harrisia. This is based on observations during summer here in the Southern hemisphere. I am wondering what the colour difference through the winter on the different stocks will be because it is generally through winter and early spring that these plants show the most red/orange/pink, they go more yellow green though the warmer months.
I have noticed that plants I have seen grafted on Myrtillocactus seem to have excellent coloration but I have not tried this stock yet. It is an interesting topic, it will be interesting to hear about other's experiences.

Offline wiskyblandi1

• Very-Newbie
Re: Astro coloration
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, 21 December 2017 - 08:22:03 »
It's an experiment I'm interested in. I'd like to know more about this experiment.

Copyright © Carlo & Daniele