Cactus Cultivars

Author Topic: Fukuryu banjaku crest!  (Read 2796 times)

Offline Simon

Fukuryu banjaku crest!
« on: Monday, 20 January 2014 - 23:22:12 »
Each year at the start of the growing season I wonder what plants are going to crest. This year one of my favourites has made a crested pup so I am very happy. It is nearly big enough to cut up into sections and regraft. I normally wait until the crest is big enough to leave some on the stock and cut off a piece about two inches to make into two sections for regafting. It takes a bit longer but the chances of losing all three pieces are very low, so it is good insurance. Second photo shows an uncrested clone of the same plant.

Offline Carlo & Daniele

• Admin
    • Picasa - Carlo & Daniele
Re: Fukuryu banjaku crest!
« Reply #1 on: Monday, 20 January 2014 - 23:53:56 »
both of them are great Simon!
Carlo & Daniele

Offline Carlo & Daniele

• Admin
    • Picasa - Carlo & Daniele
« Reply #2 on: Monday, 20 January 2014 - 23:54:47 »
do you think the same roughness is kept on cristate offsets?
sometimes I think they lose a bit compared to the original plant
Carlo & Daniele

Offline Simon

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, 21 January 2014 - 04:25:49 »
Hi C+D yes I think you are right that the roughness is less, it seems to me that plants stay stuck at the stage of maturity they had reached when the meristem crests. While the crest gets longer in one direction the crested plant doesn't grow wider across the crest and the width of the crest seems to correspond with the diameter of the plant at the stage of maturity it had reached when the meristem went sideways. I have noticed that seedlings that crested prior to reaching flowering size never seem flower.
 The opposite may also be true, in that a plant that starts to crest at a mature stage is only ever capable of producing mature growth. Like when a discocactus or melocactus has reached the cephalium stage and starts cresting. I have a D.horstii crest that makes cephalium growth along the meristem, I think if I regraft sections of this meristem I will get only crested cephalium and no immature body.
Because fukuryu show ribs best as mature plants the crested plant I have may never show much fukuryu character...but...
I had a seedling Echinocereus rubrispinus crest a few years ago at about 1cm diameter. On its own roots it grows a one cm wide crest with immature character(soft fluffy white spines) I found when I grafted the immature crest on a large harrisia stock it caused a new mature growth form to develop. The more mature form is about three cm wide, it has hard pectinate spines with the red colour of mature plants. I think this is caused by the hormones produced in the stock inducing maturity in the scion. I have degrafted some of the mature crest and am interested to see if it will continue to grow as it is or revert back to the immature form. I want to know if the maturation effects of the stock hormones are permanent, or temporary, and dependant on exposure to the stock hormones?
When time comes to graft this fukuryu crest I will try it on large Harrisia and see if a more mature growth form showing more fukuryu character can be induced. At the moment it is on Lamairocereus which doesn't seem to have the effect of producing mature growth the way Harrisia does. Even if it doesn't work I still love this crest and think it will look great when it gets big if it grows into the brain like shape.

Offline robinast

• Saare-Tõrvaaugu aiand
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, 21 January 2014 - 19:22:20 »
Extremely nice crest indeed!! And the other plant is great as well!
I also hope to get crested ' banyaku fukuryu' plant - right now, on of the grafted seedlings looks promising (though, of course, one can not be sure what will come out of this).

This is one of the two pups on a 'banyaju fukuryu' youngster. Right now, it looks like it may occur crested.

This is the other pup, dividing dichotomously.

And here you see the 'mother' of both (20 mm in diameter without pups).
Some pictures from my collection:
http://e-aiand.com/kollektsioon/index.php

Offline hans

« Reply #5 on: Thursday, 23 January 2014 - 18:05:03 »
 Hi Simon
  I have to be careful about watching these beautiful crest form, firstly I being greedy there by being passionate crest form lover (110 diffrent soecies), secondly, I have been suffering from heart rhythm disorders and watching below is not good for.
warmly congratulated on this wonderful crest form.

Offline Simon

« Reply #6 on: Monday, 03 February 2014 - 10:30:43 »
Thank you Hans, that is the nicest thing you say! It sounds like you may have a world record number of crests so I am happy you like my one!
I live in Australia, we have strict quarantine, so it is hard to bring in plants from overseas. This means that there are few crest species available here. When a new one occurs here it is a cause for celebration because it can be propagated and distributed between collectors. I have been lucky to have nearly a dozen crests occur at my nursery and I am propagating them now.
Anyway I wanted to show what I meant by this about the rubrispinus.....
"I had a seedling Echinocereus rubrispinus crest a few years ago at about 1cm diameter. On its own roots it grows a one cm wide crest with immature character(soft fluffy white spines) I found when I grafted the immature crest on a large harrisia stock it caused a new mature growth form to develop. The more mature form is about three cm wide, it has hard pectinate spines with the red colour of mature plants. I think this is caused by the hormones produced in the stock inducing maturity in the scion.
 .......so heres a photo. See the different growth caused by the effect of the stock. I hope the same effect will happen with the fukuryu crest so I can get a wider more mature crest that shows more of the fukuryu character between the ribs.

The second photo is My D. horstii crest. I think that when I cut segments of the meristem and regraft them they will produce only mature cephalium growth and not the juvenile D. horstii body. Time will tell...

Offline wiley_1983

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, 19 February 2014 - 14:53:45 »
first, i'd like to say congrats on your beautiful crest!! second, i am new to crested astrophytums and have a simple question - if you pollinate 2 crested plants with each other is all the seeds going to turn out to be crested cacti?

Offline robinast

• Saare-Tõrvaaugu aiand
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, 20 February 2014 - 08:23:54 »
Why and in what conditions crests appear is not known actually. Pollinating two crested plants may give you crested seedlig(s) - or may not...
Some pictures from my collection:
http://e-aiand.com/kollektsioon/index.php

Offline andrea.a

« Reply #9 on: Thursday, 20 February 2014 - 11:22:01 »
Simon, Your crested Discocactus is Amazing!
Andrea.

Copyright © Carlo & Daniele