Cactus Cultivars

Author Topic: a disaster  (Read 2929 times)

Offline robinast

• Saare-Tõrvaaugu aiand
a disaster
« on: Thursday, 31 October 2013 - 10:10:13 »
Ah, dear friends, I'm in a big trouble: this storm that run riot in Europe blew off a big part of the roof of my cactus greenhouse. The wind continued raving, so that I could start with repairs only two nights and one day later. Already by the next morning (the storm hit at deep night), the cactus boxes were full of cold water... I even don't want to think what will happen with my collection further. Now, I'm still emptying the boxes and trying to dry the soil and roots of cacti - but I am not very optimistic indeed. The losses will be heavy, that's sure. Flowering Ariocarpuses, my most beautiful Onzukas, two more than 60 yo Astrophytum ornatums, the biggest A. myriostigma 'Kikko's, all my Gymnocalyciums, the collection of named Echnopsis varieties and crossess - all drowned in a the rainwater... :'(
The only good thing is that it's unusually warm outdoors at present. Usually, the temperatures are below zero here at the end of October - but we're having around 10 degrees above zero now. Thanks at least for this... Otherwise, I would remain only with the seedlings I keep in the living room under lamps.
Some pictures from my collection:
http://e-aiand.com/kollektsioon/index.php

Offline fanecchissimo

Re: a disaster
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, 31 October 2013 - 12:14:31 »
put all them on bare roots and dry them in your house until spring. then pot them all back. i guess more than 80% will be saved

Offline Carlo & Daniele

• Admin
    • Picasa - Carlo & Daniele
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, 31 October 2013 - 13:14:03 »
hello robinast, we are so sorry for you...it's really a big loss...
We suggest too to put some plants bare rooted also in empty pots in the original position
Carlo & Daniele

Offline Karlet

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, 31 October 2013 - 13:59:55 »
I am very sorry that this great disaster, I hope you can put bare root all your plants as you recommend other friends, is the unique solution.
A little bit of work but it will give its results, do not worry.
Good Luck!
Carlo

Offline andrea.a

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, 31 October 2013 - 16:05:19 »
I'm very sorry, I know what it means!
One year ago I had the same problem! The greenhouse was eradicated away by wind, all plants were falled on the floor, full of water, one on the other!
I lost all the small seedlings (very small, less than 3 months old), but adult plants are still here, i only lost 5 or 6 of them.
I did exactly the things Fenecchissimo, Carlo e Daniele and Karlet are suggesting to you.
Good luck!!!
Andrea.

Offline robinast

• Saare-Tõrvaaugu aiand
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, 31 October 2013 - 18:12:45 »
Thank you all for the good advices!
I'm talking about nearly 500 plants and I do not have a place for them in the house. Also, I can not deal with them immediately. :( But, yes, this was also my own first thought - to remove the wet soil and keep them bareroot. Only, it takes time - which I, unfortunately, do not have this week...
Right now, I'm heating the greenhouse (hopefully, I can keep +20 or even more for at least one-and-half or two weeks; luckily, it's going to be quite warm outdoors) and around a quarter of plants are placed on the heating plate (with the surface temperature of about +30 C). I hope this will help a bit before I will have all the roots cleaned from the sodden soil.
I also checked the remained on it's place part of roof today. It's a miracle that it still is on it's place: nearly all the fastening screws were critically loosened  so that a next windblow would definitely have ruined the roof completely! I hope I managed to fix it - the wind is gaining in strength again here (we're expecting up to 18 m/s tonight). I do not think I'll sleep calmly tonight...

Offline danskibsted

« Reply #6 on: Friday, 01 November 2013 - 08:59:39 »
I am very sorry to hear about your problems! Here in Denmark we also felt the storm with windst up to 42m/s. I lost the roof on my greenhouse too, but I was able to secure it back in place a few hours later.
Keep the temperature up, hopefully that will dry your plants out.
I really feel with you, it's so depressing when such things happen. I hope your plants will be allright after all.
Best wishes
Dan

Offline cortona

« Reply #7 on: Friday, 01 November 2013 - 17:26:18 »
i'm really sad for you, i understand the worry and loss of sleep for your situation, but, keep calm and all will go ok!

Offline SunAndSanD

• Very-Newbie
« Reply #8 on: Friday, 01 November 2013 - 19:11:15 »
Sorry to hear that happen, sux.  I agree with everyone else , bare root EVERYTHING, and put them in front of a fan for atleast 1-2 weeks, then repot after another 2 weeks (so roots heal/close , you NEED to dry those roots ASAP! Once that critical month goes by you should be fine. ;)

Offline Simon

« Reply #9 on: Monday, 04 November 2013 - 22:42:45 »
Man that's terrible! We heard about this storm even  as far away as here in Australia.
It is good advice to bare root the plants, you can line nursery trays with newspaper and stack them one on top of the other to save space. We had a similar problem here this winter gone and the stacks of trays with bare rooted plants stayed in our lounge room near the heater for a couple of months. Thankfully my lovely wife put up with it and the kids didn't knock them over.
When a disaster like this strikes, draw strength from the example of the cacti, they are the ultimate survivors and the best example of resilience. It is not how many disasters that happen, but how many times you pick up the pieces afterwards and continue that makes for a great collection..... \O/

Offline robinast

• Saare-Tõrvaaugu aiand
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, 06 November 2013 - 19:16:46 »
Thank you all for these supportive messages!
By now, I have done all I could for saving the plants. Initially, I estimated the number of plants that need saving being around a half of a thousand. Finally, it turns out that the number is twice as big. :O And the South American species (Copiapoas, Eriosyces and Matucanas) had already formed new fresh roots which, actually, is not such a surprise because by the calendar, they should start growing indeed. And if water is available and temperature is suitable (I try to keep the greenhouse as warm as possible) ... sure, they start to grow.
This way or another, I feel myself much more optimistic now! Most likely,  the losses will be not THAT big I was initially afraid of.

Offline vitostarkiller

• Semi-Newbie
    • Some of my plants et al.
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, 07 November 2013 - 03:21:03 »
Nice to hear good news!
Hope you can save as many as possible  ;D
"Life is full of cacti, but you don't have sit on them"

Offline Karlet

« Reply #12 on: Thursday, 07 November 2013 - 09:08:33 »
I am very happy to hear that your news, do not give up!
Carlo

Copyright © Carlo & Daniele