Cactus Cultivars

Author Topic: Grafting with Opuntia humifusa  (Read 5286 times)

Offline robinast

• Saare-Tõrvaaugu aiand
Grafting with Opuntia humifusa
« on: Thursday, 15 August 2013 - 11:04:08 »
As I have read that O. humifusa (compressa) and O. fragilis might be good permanent rootstocks for a wide range of cacti, I made several grafts with them in July and as the grafts seemed to take well, quite a lot some weeks later in August.
Last year, I tried O. ficus-indica and O. basilaris as rootstocks - but with nothing but only miserable results. Out of tens of grafts, only one was was more or less succsessful (O. clavarioides on O. ficus-indica).

Some grafts made about a month ago:

Koh-Yo on O. humifusa

Mammillaria luethyi on O. humifusa

Encephalocarpus strobiliformis on O. fragilis

A couple of grafts made last week:

Koh-Yo on O. humifusa

O. humifusa grafted onto unidentified Opuntia species
- for faster propagation (the rootstock is pretty big and should boost the humifusa growth heavily).

Well, and what says the others' experience? How do Opuntia humifusa and O. fragilis for you - if you use or have used them?
« Last Edit: Thursday, 15 August 2013 - 12:33:11 by Carlo & Daniele »
Some pictures from my collection:
http://e-aiand.com/kollektsioon/index.php

Offline andrea.a

Re: Grafting with Opuntia humifusa
« Reply #1 on: Friday, 16 August 2013 - 11:35:37 »
I'd like to try O. compressa, now I have some plants, I'm waiting them to produce enaugh new branches.
Last year I tried with an Opuntia sp. (I do not know which one, I have a big one here without any name), first of all with some Echinopsis, just to see, and now with Astros and Arios. It seems to work well, scions do not grow so fast, but they look very healthy.
The thing I like is that scion suddenly produces new roots from cut part, i guess that grafting on Opuntia could be a good intermediate step from grafted scion (for example on Pereskiopsis) to own root.
Here some pics of last year grafted Echinopsis and 4 weeks ago grafted asterias and variegated myrios, the new roots are fast to appear.

Andrea

Offline andrea.a

« Reply #2 on: Friday, 16 August 2013 - 11:36:36 »
Myrios:

Offline robinast

• Saare-Tõrvaaugu aiand
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, 18 August 2013 - 16:45:36 »
Nice plants - tank you for posting the pictures!
As I see, the grafts are developing roots - which, I think, may indicate a certain degree of incompatibility.
Some pictures from my collection:
http://e-aiand.com/kollektsioon/index.php

Offline hans

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, 20 August 2013 - 04:14:06 »
in the Netherlands we get if we wanted as rootstock for grafting the smaller species Eriocactus Jusbertii, and for the larger plants Trichocereus.
Both types can be easily provided quietly grown 50 years and more, a large part of my collection is this, including a Astrophytum ornatum grafted in 1936, now 70 cm high
the way you want to do this, you only get CAULIFLOWERS, which is a vegetable that is growing rapidly in the Netherlands.
In other words, you may or multiply rapidly but because you get sources of ignition but bloated and flabby plants.
the trick is to breed as much as possible approaching the plants from nature. appearance plants
ent and if you do it on a rootstock of more than 3 cm, I have nothing against graft
but if I many southern European and Asian collections see on the Internet all on high legs then do it for me anymore.
In any case, good luck

Greetings Hans

Copyright © Carlo & Daniele