Cactus Cultivars

Author Topic: Hormones and in vitro / Micropropagation  (Read 3359 times)

Offline bouldering

Hormones and in vitro / Micropropagation
« on: Wednesday, 20 March 2013 - 20:21:19 »
Have anyone here ever tried to propagate cacti in vitro with some hormones? That can be very useful method for propagating rare plants without changing genotype and phenotype. It seems to be faster than waiting for offsets from areols after apex removal etc. Did anyone have any results to share? I have access to some equipment and hormones but I've never seen this method in cacti context.

Offline modern.shaman

Re: Hormones and in vitro / Micropropagation
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, 21 March 2013 - 03:01:24 »
I have seen it done but  the person didn't provide any details on their formula and hormone ratios. They were even able to induce crest on a cactus in vitro.
With enough knowledge in tissue culture you should be able achieve mass propogation in vitro. I do agree though that its rare to see cacti in tissue culture.

Offline bouldering

« Reply #2 on: Thursday, 21 March 2013 - 21:00:38 »
I've done some searching today, and I found something not necessarily practical, but interesting. I also attached original article below.

Title:
Induction of somatic embryogenesis in Astrophytum asterias (Zucc.) Lem. in the aspect of light conditions and auxin 2,4-D concentrations.

Abstract:
Astrophytum asterias (Zucc.) Lem. is a cactus which is among those most desired by producers and collectors all across the world and, at the same time, a species threatened with extinction in the natural environment. Micropropagation techniques can be helpful both in terms of its ex situ protection and its popularisation on the market, thus satisfying the needs of cacti breeders and collectors. Somatic embryogenesis is the most effective method of multiplication and it involves the formation of somatic embryos from vegetative cells. The medium, light conditions and type of explant demonstrate the key effect on its efficiency. Auxin 2,4-D (2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic acid) is most frequently applied to embryogenesis induction. In the present study we determined the effect of its concentration and light conditions on the efficiency of Astrophytum asterias somatic embryogenesis. Seeds were placed on the modified MS medium with a reduced content of macronutrients and sucrose 1/2MS (pH 5.7 - before autoclaving). All the in vitro cultures were incubated in the growth room (24±2°C, 16 h light/8 h dark photoperiod, the intensity of quantum irradiation: 24.3 µmol.m-2.s-1). After 14 days 70% of the seeds were produced of seedlings. To regenerate somatic embryos, halves of green seedlings were placed on the modified MS medium with auxin 2,4-D added at different concentrations: 5; 7 and 10 mg.dm-3, the MS0 medium without growth regulators was our control. To verify the effect of light conditions, half of explants were incubated in the light, and half in the dark. After 10 weeks of culture, the regenerated embryos were isolated, counted and measured. They were produced on all the media types, in both light conditions. The present research confirmed a positive effect of 2,4-D and light on the number of explants forming embryoid structures and on the number of regenerating embryos. The most number of embryos per 1 explant (1.8) were obtained on the MS7 medium (7 mg.dm-3 2,4-D) in the light conditions.

I also wonder if Astrophytum asterias on own roots would make some offsets after just applying some auxins? Have anyone tried this before?

Offline modern.shaman

« Reply #3 on: Saturday, 23 March 2013 - 01:29:37 »
Applying BAP-6 onto an areola of a cactus will force pupping from that areola.

Offline Onzuka

• Very-Newbie
« Reply #4 on: Monday, 25 March 2013 - 08:50:51 »
Are these techniques something that can be done at home, or do you need a laboratory and a man in a white coat?

Steve

Offline modern.shaman

« Reply #5 on: Monday, 25 March 2013 - 19:43:05 »
You can apply BAP safely at home. Here is a link describing the technique.
http://cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14243

Offline bouldering

« Reply #6 on: Monday, 25 March 2013 - 21:32:54 »
Also a tissue culture can be prepared without a lab:

http://www.greenspot.pl/en_US/p/Home-tissue-culture-kit/124

Copyright © Carlo & Daniele