Cactus Cultivars

Author Topic: All Plants Identification. (Seeds bought with a question mark to name results)  (Read 2671 times)

Offline marazz53

• Picasa Web Albums - marazz53's plants
Hi ALL,

I bought various seeds from various people and various places and I'm not convinced with the right name given. So I decided to start this topic as a help to ALL Forum Members. I hope that this will be a great help to ALL.

THANKS.

Mario (marazz53)

Ariocarpus confusus (name given?)

Ariocarpus retusus (what I think?)
Picasa Web Albums - marazz53's plants

https://picasaweb.google.com/105945602304263303651

Offline andrea.a

Re: All Plants Identification. (Seeds bought with a question mark to name results)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, 09 October 2012 - 23:44:34 »
Very interesting topic!

Unluckily it is very difficult to answere your question, I studied a lot Ariocarpus retisus complex, and discussed with people who went to Mexico and observe them in habitat. There are, in some localities, very omogeneus populations, but in some other localities there is plenty of plants one different from the other.

A. confusus is maybe the most variabile: in a small area there are plants similar to subs. trigonus, other plants similar to "furfuraceus", other plants are similar to "scapharostroides", and a lot of intermedius morphs. Also flower colour is variabile! Some Ariocarpus experts supposed that "confusus" is a natural hybrid. Someone else wrote that it is not so correct to give a "label" such as "confusus" or "scapharostroides" or "furfuraceus", but only locality indication and field number.

Near Tula (Tamaulipas) among A. kotschoubeyanus albiflorus have been observed pink flowered plants. Which is the correct name? If you buy seeds of albiflora and you obtain some pink flowering plants was the dealer not honest? Not easy matter!!!

Anyway let me say your Ariocarpus (confusus? or retusus scapharostroides?) is a really beautiful plant, you can be proud of it (I would be!!!)

Andrea.
« Last Edit: Friday, 19 October 2012 - 00:04:59 by andrea.a »

Offline Karlet

Re: All Plants Identification. (Seeds bought with a question mark to name results)
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, 18 October 2012 - 19:53:00 »
Hi Mario, I think too it's quite closed to retusus scapharostroides. Beautiful plant anyway.

« Last Edit: Thursday, 18 October 2012 - 20:18:09 by Carlo & Daniele »
Carlo

Offline Carlo & Daniele

• Admin
    • Picasa - Carlo & Daniele
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, 18 November 2012 - 15:33:16 »
is it a confusus?

Carlo & Daniele

Offline Karlet

« Reply #4 on: Monday, 19 November 2012 - 13:14:48 »
The tubercle seems that of confusus. Some plants have white flower, magenta other, this is a happy medium. ;)
Carlo

Offline marazz53

« Reply #5 on: Monday, 26 November 2012 - 21:28:26 »
Hi andrea.a, THANKS for your appreciation and for the interesting info...

Offline marazz53

« Reply #6 on: Monday, 26 November 2012 - 21:29:19 »

Hi Karlet, thanks.

Copyright © Carlo & Daniele