Cactus Cultivars

Author Topic: High ppm for cactus plants  (Read 2883 times)

Offline Lee

• Semi-Newbie
  • Obsessive plant propagator.
High ppm for cactus plants
« on: Friday, 13 July 2012 - 13:31:33 »
Hello Group,

I am seeking some help with regard ppm reading for feeding my cactus.

I grow my Echinopsis and Trichocerus hybrids and other cactus  in a greenhouse in coir + grit + perlite mix in UK.

Is there a recommended ppm for liquid fertiliser strength?
I would like to know the maximum strength I can feed with no root burn?

I understand these cacti species in their natural habitat can come from nutrient rich soils. So I wonder are the roots adapted to high levels of salts? If plants are so adapted, perhaps they can also accept high feeding rates?

At present I feed seedlings at Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) 300ppm.
Adult plants TDS 600ppm.

I feed adult plants with a fertiliser NPK 2-2-6

Simple reading such as 1/2 diluted fertiliser will not help me as if you take a selection of
commercial fertilisers, they all give different ppm for their standard mix.
So they are in reality different concentrations in ppm.
I have accurately measured the results.

Not all 1/2 strength fertiliser is the same! There is no universal standard as some companies
make their fertiliser stronger to get more growth!

I use an accurate Hanna meter.

My friends in warmer sunnier climes feed their plants with much higher levals of fertiliser than I do and I wonder if their quicker growth rates is more than simply the sunshine and warmth.

My plants grow, but I think they are slow. I do not know if it is the cold wet weather with no sunshine or the lack of food?

Your advice is much appreciated.
With regards

Offline fanecchissimo

Re: High ppm for cactus plants
« Reply #1 on: Friday, 13 July 2012 - 17:11:58 »
i usually use 18-18-30 granular low solubility fertilizer. once a year, it last about 4 months, wich is similar to the effectively growing period for plants in here (i want them to be a bit dry when put to rest in winter). i dont' like liquid ones because they can spot the whiteness of the plant (think to a sk).

usually the only real problem with huge fertilization is the winter rest. i tried with roses fertilizer at full dose on an echinopsis. explosive growth: outcome? an explosion of rot at early october ( first time in the greenhouse below 10°C). but i saw in the canaries a lot of cacti full growing in march... they where fertilized as all other plants, like roses, or bouganvilles... here it is unthinkable. that's probably why sometimes plants dies when you buy some from there.

i think there is no reason to measure in an accurate way this parameter, because the problem is not only the concentration, but most of all the nitrogen content, particularly nitrates.

Offline fanecchissimo

« Reply #2 on: Friday, 13 July 2012 - 17:13:23 »
any real lack of food in a cacti is easy to see on a nudum form, because it will be not dark green, but going to yellow or reddish.

Offline Lee

• Semi-Newbie
  • Obsessive plant propagator.
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, 14 July 2012 - 11:45:44 »
Hello fanecchissimo,

Thank you for your posting and advice.
Your slow release fertiliser will act slowly as it is broken down by soil bacteria and fungii also. This can mean it is difficult to know the exact levels of nutrients reaching your plants through the year.  However as your plants like what you are doing, that is great. You grow wonderful plants.

I need to use liquid fertiliser, because that is the only way I can accurately control or change nutrients that go into the plant.  I like to use a meter with measurements.  I can measure water nutirents going in and water coming out.

The Canaries does have wonderful plants. Yes there  are many hotel and apartmentos gardens with cacti watered from the hosepipe.

Here is a film about the large export of cacti and succulents from Canaries to Netherlands.

http://tinyurl.com/6w8g2na

With regards
Lee  (inUK)

Offline xiaohuage

« Reply #4 on: Friday, 21 June 2013 - 06:10:01 »
are you chinese? :-*

Copyright © Carlo & Daniele