Cactus Cultivars

Author Topic: one stock vs more stocks  (Read 2653 times)

Offline fanecchissimo

one stock vs more stocks
« on: Friday, 25 May 2012 - 11:45:00 »
Hi all,

i would like to stop grafting, and changing stock after 1 year or so . i would like to graft just once the plant an then, if possible, reroot it.

any advice on which is the best stock for this purpose? (i need frost resistant ones)

is this process compromising growth a lot, comparing to multiple grafting on different stocks?
i found that degrafted plants are (in my  tiny experience) more resistant to cold than "on stock" scions.

thank you in advance for any tip.

i am actually tring with pereskiopsis on big pot, and rerooting directly, with no echinopsis or myrtillo for myrio...
i am actually leaving own roots any asterias (so many problems in rerooting properly).

Offline AstrophytumCultivars.com

• Cactus-Love Tomas Kramaric
Re: one stock vs more stocks
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, 30 May 2012 - 22:50:32 »
Hi,

In principle its senseless to graft not-frost-proof plant to frost-proof stock :)

Better say you want to graft plant to COLD PROOF (more than 0°C), :). there are more options - I use Echinopsis eyriesi, Trichocereus passacana and also some Opuntia's (I have even some frost-proof opuntias).

Warm-like stocks: Hylocereus, Myrtilocactus, Pereskiopsis, Selenicereus.
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
With best regards
Tomas Kramaric (Central EU, Slovakia)
mailto:astrophytum@tokra.sk
https://picasaweb.google.com/116926721104617607050

Offline fanecchissimo

« Reply #2 on: Thursday, 31 May 2012 - 08:58:28 »
my own roots astros always remains up to -8°C every winter.
no loss at all between the own rooted ones... i have myrio, asterias, ornatum and capricorne.

here in italy you will find everywhere the "stock rule"... if the stock is frost hardy, the scion is more tolerant to freeze, if the stock is not, the scion is not.
i trust it just partially, but there is a bit of truth in it.

opuntia humifusa (compressa) lives outdoor here in northern italy and can resist up to -15 degrees even if wet.

the question was about the growth loss using just one stock and rerooting shortly own root.

thank you anyway for the answer.

Offline AstrophytumCultivars.com

• Cactus-Love Tomas Kramaric
« Reply #3 on: Monday, 04 June 2012 - 09:32:19 »
my own roots astros always remains up to -8°C every winter.
no loss at all between the own rooted ones... i have myrio, asterias, ornatum and capricorne.

here in italy you will find everywhere the "stock rule"... if the stock is frost hardy, the scion is more tolerant to freeze, if the stock is not, the scion is not.
i trust it just partially, but there is a bit of truth in it.

opuntia humifusa (compressa) lives outdoor here in northern italy and can resist up to -15 degrees even if wet.

the question was about the growth loss using just one stock and rerooting shortly own root.

thank you anyway for the answer.

Astros are maybe "tolerant" to low temperatures (for a while), but they really suffer, you observe quite vissible lignification in lower part of plant -> plant dont look very nice then. So I would recommend to avoid such low temperatures with own-root astros.
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
With best regards
Tomas Kramaric (Central EU, Slovakia)
mailto:astrophytum@tokra.sk
https://picasaweb.google.com/116926721104617607050

Offline fanecchissimo

« Reply #4 on: Monday, 04 June 2012 - 19:15:05 »
recommend what you think it is right, but wood at the base is quite heritable in my opinion.
plants that don't make wood wont' do it either with -10°C.
for example onzukas don't wooden in my greenhouse, but a lot of nudum forms of myrio does. (and i controlled under the flecks in onzukas  :D )

I don't want to seem rude, but i tried it for 7 years now 8), and i know what i am talking about.

anyway the problem is how long you want the "rest" season to be. i don't have a hurry about that, because slow growing plants are really more resistant to fungi and coldness.
if you put them in rest at the beginning of october and just water them after the first warm period in march, gradually, you won't have cold problems ( even more true if not grafted) (this is obviously for climate similar to the northern italy one)

we are very OT, aren't we? ;)

Copyright © Carlo & Daniele