Cactus Cultivars

Author Topic: Seiji  (Read 7446 times)

Offline Frank

Seiji
« on: Sunday, 30 October 2011 - 01:13:15 »
The original name is chou-ooibo daruma-ibo Seiji hana-botan.
In English, it should be Ariocarpus retusus v furfuraceus cv extra large round tubercle Seiji.
The main character is Seiji, celadon color of body.
It needs some months for the flowering season.

Offline Carlo & Daniele

• Admin
    • Picasa - Carlo & Daniele
Re: Seiji
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, 30 October 2011 - 12:55:02 »
Dear Frank,
the plant looks very nice and it has a nice colour too.
It should be quite big, isn't it?
Carlo & Daniele

Offline Mestre

« Reply #2 on: Sunday, 30 October 2011 - 19:12:42 »
Nice wooly one,I like the blue (glauco )colour

It seems to be huge
Miguel Mestre

Offline Frank

« Reply #3 on: Sunday, 30 October 2011 - 20:43:39 »
Carlo & Daniele, Mestre

I bought seeds and sowed on 30th September 2004.
I grafted a young seedlings on an Echinopsis. The current diameter is around 18 cm.

Offline Lune

• Very-Newbie
« Reply #4 on: Monday, 31 October 2011 - 00:41:18 »
Nice plant, Frank. I apologize in advance if I sound rude, but the name/description sounds a bit unconventional or incorrect. Did you get your seeds from eBay?

Offline Frank

« Reply #5 on: Monday, 31 October 2011 - 01:18:33 »
Lune

Seeds did not come from eBay.
The original name was written in Japanese, mixed with Kan-ji, hiragana and katakana.
I just transrate it in English by myself.

Frank

Offline Lune

• Very-Newbie
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, 01 November 2011 - 00:46:10 »
Hi Frank,

Hm, did you purchase your seeds directly from Japan? I’m relatively certain that the seller mislabeled them (although all those words and phrases do relate to Ariocarpus in some way).

Cho Ooibo – Very large tubercles.

Daruma Ooibo – This phrase is akward. “Daruma” is a type of a form given in relation to a plant’s leaves/tubercles morphology, so adding “Ooibo” to it is redundant. To use an analogy, consider this sentence: “I recently purchased a Ferrari car.” It is denoted that Ferrari is an automobile manufacturer, so all you would have to say is "I recently purchased a Ferrari." Adding “car” after it is redundant and sounds a bit strange.

Seiji – is a whitish green color, but the word is not really used to describe color when speaking of Ariocarpus. “Seiji” is used as part of the name “Seiji-Botan,” which is the Japanese name for Ariocarpus furfuraceus v. brevituberosus.

Hana-Botan – is Ariocarpus furfuraceus. Saying “Seiji Hana-Botan” is confusing, like saying “Ariocarus kotschoubeyanus v. scapharostrus.” Perhaps the seller meant that this plant is a cross between Seiji-Botan x Hana-Botan?

Again, I hope that I did not offend you… I simply want to better inform other passionate cactus hobbyists like yourself. ;) I have many relatives and close friends who are fluent in speaking, reading, and writing Japanese, so if you would like something translated, please let me know and I will try to help you when I can.

Offline Frank

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, 01 November 2011 - 04:47:17 »
G'day Lune

I am a Japanese and bought seeds from a Japanese seeds supplier directly.
I collect cactus more than 40 years.
I think I can understand the name of all Japanese cultivars.

Offline Hellonasty

• Very-Newbie
    • Astrophytum-and-friend
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, 01 November 2011 - 13:10:43 »
Great plant Frank :)

Offline Frank

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, 01 November 2011 - 22:35:31 »
G'morning Hellonasty

Thanks for your post.

Offline Lune

• Very-Newbie
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, 02 November 2011 - 02:32:47 »
Hi Frank,

G’day (are you from Oz?).

I do not intend to doubt your knowledge or experience at all. Could you please impart some more knowledge on this topic? Although I have seen Seiji-botan, Tama-botan, Hana-botan, Zouga-botan, etc., I have never seen a reference to a Seiji Hana-Botan. Links would also be quite helpful (Japanese language would be perfect).

Again, I hope you did not misunderstand me. However, I apologize if you feel that I have offended you. Gomenasai  ;)

Offline Frank

« Reply #11 on: Thursday, 03 November 2011 - 01:00:07 »
G'morning Lune

I think your previous comment was almost correct.
I do not buy any seeds or plants years but I checked the current seed lists of the supplier.
The cactus seed supplier who I bought seeds before is the largest cactus seed supplier in Japan and they are only one, be able to supply cactus seeds to overseas from Japan as a professional cactus seed supplier.

It is avalable 155 Ariocarpus cultivars, including 80 varigated plants seeds.
26 of hana-botan cultivars are available.
In the hana-batan group, various cultivars e.g. Seiji, cauliflower, mitsuibo ets are included.
The name of these cultivars are described as Seiji hana-botan, cauliflower hana-botan, mitsuibo hana-botan ----
Seiji related cultivar are 12.
Seiji botan and Seiji hana-botan is same but I believed the name in their lists were correct Japanese word and use same name of  the lists in this forum.

Cho-ooibo: This part describes about size of tubercles but describe about own-root (Seedlings) plant appearance only.
                 Grafted plants are may be not able to show this character.
Cho         : This word shouold not traslate as "very". Cho-ooibo means beyond very large tubercles.
                 The supplier use another word, "tokudai" for very large.
                 Direct translation should be "super" but I dislike the word.
Daruma-ibo: This part describes about shape of tubercles.
                    Daruma is an Indean Buddhism monk. His body was round becuse he lost his hands and legs during his long
                    meditation. Daruma-ibo means roud and thick tubercles.

Original name of Seiji botan (Seiji hana-botan) came from its body color.
My photo is Seiji hana-botan. The photo of "maruibo" in this forum is hana-botan.
You can compare body colors of these plants.
The color of my plant is same as the color of celadon porcelain.

Offline Lune

• Very-Newbie
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, 17 November 2011 - 05:57:41 »
Hi Frank,

Sorry for the late response, I’ve been a little busy. And thanks for the information, it is appreciated.

Yes, I know exactly which cactus nursery that you speak of, and their seed catalog is very, very large and impressive. I have not looked at their catalog in a while, but I have just checked their newest 2010 update right now to see what was written in there. You are correct; the catalog does say “Seiji Hana-Botan.”

Hana-Botan is A. furfuraceus, as you already know. And Seiji-Botan is a furfuraceus variety (A. furfuraceus v. brevituberosus), so I think most hobbyists just say Seiji-Botan instead of Seiji Hana-Botan because furfuraceus is already assumed, and probably also because it’s shorter to say.

Cho Ooibo: Yes, I do realize that meaning is “super/ultra large tubercle” and not just “very big”. But like you, I don’t really like saying “super” either. I have seen the word “tokudai” used as well.

Daruma: yes, this word is used in regards to tubercles (in the case of Ariocarpus). I agree that it is rounded/thick, but I also think short and wide as well. It is interesting to note that “daruma” is not only used for Ariocarpus, but other plants as well. But I think this makes sense because “daruma” is not a cultivar name, but just a general term used to describe a plant’s form. For example, some of my Japanese Haworthias and Gasterias were described as daruma. I have a selection of Gasteria pillansii with very wide/short leaves that was called “Cho Habahiro Daruma Pillansii”. Of course, this is not a real cultivar name, only a description of this clone.

Anyway, this plant is beautiful, Frank. How large is it, and how old? I have focused my interests away from Ariocarpus and moved to Haworthias and Gasterias, but looking at your plant is making me want to get back into Arios again! I still have maybe 50-60 seeds that I purchased from Japan last year, currently being preserved in the refrigerator (good selection ‘Cauliflower’, Tama-botan, and Seiji-botan). I think I may sow them very soon.

Offline Simon

« Reply #13 on: Thursday, 17 November 2011 - 23:42:00 »
I would really love to know who the Japanese seed supplier you have both mentioned is. Sounds like they have a fantastic list. Probably other members would also be interested too.
Care to let us know Frank or Lune?
Please.
I'd really appreciate it... \O/

Offline dag

« Reply #14 on: Saturday, 19 November 2011 - 11:51:59 »
the seedsupplier is www.aisenen.com and so far he only sells in Japan

http://www.aisenen.com/list/seed/seed2010.pdf

is his seedlist, you can use a KANJI TRANSLATOR

Copyright © Carlo & Daniele