Cactus Cultivars

Author Topic: When to remove from incubator?  (Read 1574 times)

Offline FishyFissu

When to remove from incubator?
« on: Monday, 17 March 2014 - 10:26:16 »
Hi,

I normally germinate Ariocarpus,and i know that a good rule of thumb with fissuratus for instance is to give it up to 2 years in a closed humid environment,but how do i decide?is it solely based by the size of the seedling?
Becuase i have a few seedlings i don't know how to treat:

1. I have some obregonia which is only 1 year old but look bigger than what i would have thought it would be ( nearly 1 cm).
Should i take it out?i much rather keep them in that environment as much possible,because not all the seedlings are as big,and besides,it's easier and it's probably better to let them out as late as possible so they would be stronger.
So,if i keep them inside,would the big ones start to rot?what would happen?

2. Same thing with Aztekium ritteri and hintonii though obviously they are much smaller.
How long can i keep them in this conditions?

Offline Carlo & Daniele

• Admin
    • Picasa - Carlo & Daniele
Re: When to remove from incubator?
« Reply #1 on: Monday, 17 March 2014 - 23:28:32 »
hello, a photo will be helpful...
btw you need to be very careful when removing from closed environment...in facts you will change humidity, light, probability for pests and so on.
Carlo & Daniele

Offline FishyFissu

Re: When to remove from incubator?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, 18 March 2014 - 20:15:37 »
Yeah,i try to be careful.
So far i've only transfered Euphorbia obesa so i don't know if it's the same procedure but i just puncture a hole every other day,and lower the humidity.

The obregonia seedlings are about 8 mm:

if we're on the subject,i have an obregonia from a different germination which turned out a bit smaller (around 6 mm),and there is a speciman there that came out different,and i was hoping if you can tell me if it looks like cristata or a multihead (lower right corner):

I hope it's discernible,it's hard to take that picture with a cell phone.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, 18 March 2014 - 20:51:55 by FishyFissu »

Copyright © Carlo & Daniele