Cactus Cultivars

Author Topic: Grafting Aztekium  (Read 3971 times)

Offline FishyFissu

Grafting Aztekium
« on: Monday, 17 March 2014 - 09:49:42 »
Newbie here,sorry if this isn't done according to protocol,i hope this is the most "accurate" place to post this.
It seems everyone in this forum is very experienced and that there are no new growers asking basic questions,so i will do my best not to ask questions that are too dumb.

I am very new to grafting,and i need all the help i can get.
I want to graft Aztekium ritteri and hintonii this season (1.5 year old seedlings) and i have several questions:

1. Which stock would be better for Aztekium?I have pereskiopsis,selenicereus and hylocereus undatus (but none are in grafting form).
2. When should i start preparing the stock for grafting,and how to do so?
3. how do i know if the stock is ready and ideal?
4. When would be the best time temperature wise to graft?i live in israel,so the weather gets nice around the end of april early may.
5. And in what technique?they're just so small!

I grafted some copiapoa on pereskiopsis last year and they turned out quite weird,very elongated.
I think in general it's harder for me to handle pereskiopsis because as i understand they require much much more water than other cacti,so i don't know how to treat them.

Please assume i know nothing and have no prior knowledge to grafting,because sadly that is very close to the truth...
I guess what i'm asking here is a full set of instructions on how to go about it(:

« Last Edit: Monday, 17 March 2014 - 09:53:31 by FishyFissu »

Offline Carlo & Daniele

• Admin
    • Picasa - Carlo & Daniele
Re: Grafting Aztekium
« Reply #1 on: Monday, 17 March 2014 - 23:24:32 »
Hello and welcome on board!
If you are new on grafting, first of all I'd suggest you to start with easier species...astros are far more easy to graft than aztekium. 1.5 y.o. means how many mm?
If they are very young (some months old) and kept in humid environment pereskiopsis is a good stock.
First of all you need to have very good stocks with new growth (pereskiopsis with leaves and so on).
If you can pleae post a photo of the seedlings.
Carlo & Daniele

Offline FishyFissu

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, 18 March 2014 - 20:03:56 »
Hey,thanks for the warm welcome.

The ritteri is roughly 4.5-4.7 mm,and the hintonii is surprisnly smaller,around 4 mm,but taller.
I want to apologize for the horrible orange,that's the only gravel i could find that was small enough.
It makes for quite an eyesore.

ritteri:

hintonii:

« Last Edit: Tuesday, 18 March 2014 - 20:55:48 by FishyFissu »

Offline FishyFissu

« Reply #3 on: Friday, 11 April 2014 - 17:03:08 »
bump.
i really need help here,i've only got about 15 of each,i can't really mess it up.

I'm thinking of going with the selencereus because i heard that,like the pereskiopsis,it is sticky enough so ,for seedlings, you don't need to apply pressure.
my question is,with my aztekium's size and age,should i treat them like seedlings with selencereus or put some pressure on top?

Offline andrea.a

« Reply #4 on: Saturday, 12 April 2014 - 11:03:29 »
I do it without pressure with that size seedlings, but i have Little Experience with aztekium. Please wait For hints from more Expert growers.
Andrea.

Offline Carlo & Daniele

• Admin
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, 12 April 2014 - 11:21:35 »
personally your seedlings are big enough to be grafted both on seleni or on peresk.
At that size btw I'd leave them on own roots.
If you do the grafts make sure you put them in a humid shaded environment for some days (a box or a bag is ok).
An antifungal product sprinkled inside could prevent a lot. Make sure to practice clean cuts on the stocks :)
Carlo & Daniele

Offline FishyFissu

« Reply #6 on: Saturday, 12 April 2014 - 17:14:01 »
But should i apply pressure?do i need to treat them like seedlings or are they sort of juvenile by now...
Is the pressure even a matter of age or purely of size?

I will actually leave some of them own roots,probably half or so,maybe even less.
It's just too slow,no man should be asked to wait so long!(:

Offline Carlo & Daniele

• Admin
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, 12 April 2014 - 19:28:27 »
you apply finger pressure for few seconds and that's all.
at least it work like that with us :)
if the seedling was kept in a humid environment until its grafting you can use no further pressure even if is 4 mm.
Carlo & Daniele

Offline FishyFissu

« Reply #8 on: Sunday, 13 April 2014 - 10:15:53 »
Excellent.thanks!

Offline Simon

« Reply #9 on: Monday, 14 April 2014 - 00:11:33 »
I agree with C+D leave them own roots. They are a hard bodied species and even at such small size they will tend to dry out and pull away from the stock more than they will want to stick to it. Grafting without hold down material works best with young flexible seedlings that are soft enough to bend with the stock and remain stuck to it as it changes shape while it dries out after the grafting. I have very good luck grafting both Aztekium species to Pereskiopsis at just 1-2mm diameter when about 6 weeks old so maybe start a new batch of seed for grafting with. The plants you show are doing so well and it is and the hard part is to get them to the size they are already at so maybe leave well enough alone and start a new batch to sacrifice on the grafting blade.

Offline FishyFissu

« Reply #10 on: Monday, 14 April 2014 - 22:23:13 »
With you and C+D on the same opinion,i think it would be wise to take your advice.
I'll get a new batch going.
Thanks!

Copyright © Carlo & Daniele